Originally Posted by coco
There is a great ebook on this, are you familiar with Jinjee from The Garden Diet? She wrote an ebook on breastfeeding and it has a whole section on foods to increase supply. www.yogaofnursing.com Hope that helps!
i had issues from day one with my daughter, but i can tell you that tons of liquids, fruit, coconut oil and coconut water, fennel and fenugreek do help. also, you may want to get your thyroid checked. i know that it sounds strange, but there is such a thing as subclinical hypothyroidism, where you are seemingly fine, but odd things show up, such as decreased milk production. you can ask your doc for a full thyroid panel and see what they come up with. i did it per suggestion of a lactation consultant and oddly enough i had issues. you never know.
good luck mama!
check out our green family blog...phytofam
Hi, I am currently nursing my 6mo. I have been cooked vegetarian for years. We had supply issues, but are doing good now. I have been eating 90% raw for a couple weeks now. I have lots of fluids, and green juice everyday. I have had some raw cheese and sometimes a hard boiled egg. I know this is a raw vegan board, but this is just what I'm doing, not to say it's the right/best way. I eat a good amount of nuts, seeds, and avocados.
The most important thing is that you have enough milk for your baby and eat as well as you can. I had to pump a lot at one point to get my milk supply up (might help). In my opinion, even if you eat whatever meat and dairy you are use to, make that your only cooked food and eat the rest raw:)
oh, and thank you for breastfeeding!
You don't mention water. When a friend of mine gave birth last December, her doula told her to drink lots of water to help her milk supply.
"Live Like You Mean It"
"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." Michael Pollan
1. It is not in nature's plan for women to 'not make enough milk' (which is the #1 reason for weaning) - there would be no continuation of the species!
2. My suggestions (after nursing 6 babies, none of it smoothly but we stuck with it til it worked) are as follows:
* give yourself 36 hrs to devote to nothing but nursing. no laundry. no shmoozing on the phone. no dishwashing. just curl up in bed with baby, get out every now and then to make a smoothie and pee. pay attention to how baby is latching, make sure you are hearing swallows. massage/milk the breast to help baby get more at each feed.
* take more fenugreek. you're supposed to take more and more until your pee smells like maple syrup. it could be a lot. keep taking it as your milk supply increases, until you are making enough, maybe even a little too much. then you can stop.
* keep paying attention to your baby's nursing cues: pay attention to how baby is latching, make sure you are hearing swallows. massage/milk the breast to help baby get more at each feed. dont stop. dont talk on the phone while nursing, or read a book or magazine. watch baby, make sure she doesnt slow down or fall asleep until she's eaten.
hang in there!
It is true for me that my milk went down, but it went back up.
I noticed that with e3live and almond, my milk would boost. The nursing tea also would boost my milk production. You will have more energy soon on raw which will make you produce more milk.
Remember that going raw, give more nutrient and better quality of milk to your child. Nurse more often, it will stimulate the milk production.
I went raw when my daughter was 15 months, she was almost exclusively on my milk then not much solid food. She is very healthy and a great weight.
Speaking from my experience, i was able to produce the perfect amount of milk for my child no problem. I am still producing milk two year and half after, so no, it won't compromise nursing your child. Exercise, will drop your milk production.
Don't be afraid to go raw.
Blessings and love
-Raw Angel Mom
“Never be afraid of loving the Blessed Virgin too much. You can never love her more than Jesus did.”
– Saint Maximilian Kolbe
ps: I was a lost sheep and i returned to the Catholic Faith. Please kindly discern any spiritual guidance by myself prior to October 1, 2012.
Tags for this Thread
Raw Food Talk is a friendly forum brought to you by Alissa Cohen. You can find various living & raw food diet
merchandise such as her new book or CD on her website at www.alissacohen.com
. The Raw Food Talk forum is a great place to meet friends, share raw recipes, find advice and more. The forum is broken into different categories. The "Raw & Living Foods Discussion"
is for general chat about the raw diet. The Recipes and Food Preparation
is where you can discuss and exchange vegan recipes, vegetarian recipes, & other raw recipes. "Exercise and Fitness While Raw"
is for advice, tips, training and more while you are on a raw diet. "Juicing, Sprouting, and Organic Gardening"
is for discussion related to juicing & juicers, sprouting, organic gardening & wild edible foods. "Raw Events and Classifieds"
is for posting events, products, and advertisements. These are just some of the different topics you will find being discussed in the Raw Food Talk forum. Come on in and meet some new friends.