Jeff, I emailed you something
There must be another way though. The vegan diet is healthy and one shouldn't have to eat dairy and eggs to have good teeth.
Like I said above, my teeth were fine as a vegan for 2+ years, it was not until I was on the raw diet that I noticed teeth sensitivity, bleeding gums and decreased enamal. Why is that? Was it the absence of a food in my diet or the addition of a food in my diet? Why does a raw diet destroy teeth? Too much fruit? Lack of nutrients? Change of PH?
I bought a waterpik which has completely stopped the bleeding, the sensitivity went away but I still have the loss of enamal. I am going to buy 2 calcium cell salts. In my book they say to buy them immediatly if you have any loss of enamal. The cell salts are: Calcarea Fluorica (calcium fluroide) & Calcarea Phos. (calcium sulphate).
As for nutrients, we should all GET OUTSIDE for the vitamin D. If you don't get outside enough a supplement is probably neccessary. I have read a few plant foods have vitamin D but I am not sure if that is accurate.
Get calcium rich foods in but make sure to soak any seeds or nuts because the high level of phytates before they are soaked leech calcium and iron from the body.
Greens are a MUST for calcium but eat ones low in oxalates.
For Vitamin A eat sweet potato, canteloupe, carrots, mangoes and spinach.
And lastly dairy may have some nutrients in it but we all must remember that it is not part of a natural diet. I grew up drinking raw goats milk because we had pet goats and although its tempting to drink it again for its few health benefits..it isn't natural for humans to drink the milk of another animal. Goats do fine without human milk don't they?
About my teeth.....yes I have translucency on the tips of my teeth, but no sensitivity. And I used to before going raw....it was starting to hurt when I would get my teeth cleaned because I have some roots showing at the bottom...but it amazed me when I went the last time to the dentist. First of all, it went fast (I didn't have as much placque) and second, I was expecting pain, but amazingly I only had a little and nothing like I had the last time I went.
Second......I do not eat a lot of fruits, I think I need to eat more because they would help to detox me and clean me out. I think I try to balance out what I eat. I eat a lot of greens, I have a green smoothie for breakfast and generally eat a salad for lunch. Supper is my downfall--that's when I really have a hard time staying raw. I eat raw food and/or cooked food. Some nights I don't have a lot of time to eat, so it's what is there, some nights I will take time to make something I really like like raw spagetti, or try something new. It all depends on how much time I have and what I feel like and how hungry I am.
I have just a set of neutral facts to give and then this is my last word on the topic lol.
1. Vitamin A The active retinal type) is stored in ones liver from birth. Everyone has some supply, some alot, some a liitle. So long as this store is full, one can eat beta caratine in the presence of saturated fats and the beta Car. will be made into retinal by the use of some of the retinal from the liver. B.C. can ONLY be made into active Vitamin A in the presence OF active vitamin A (retinal). When ones liver is out of retinal, as can happen quite rapidly because all the things Vit. A is used for, No amount of B.C will be made into A no matter how much you eat. That is just a fact of biological chemestry. At that point something, be it a supplement or other food option must be made or unhealth will start to set in.
2. Vitamin D. D is ONLY made from the sun when exposed to UV-B type light. There are 3 types of UV light. (a,b, and c). Only the B will produce Vitamin D and this is only in the presence of adaquete cholesterol. (which the liver can and will produce on a healthy diet, but food sources are better) this UV-B is ONLY available if you are geologically at the right tilt to the sun and the sky is clear. Obviously people in more tropical regions have an easier time fullfilling these requiresments. Those in more northerly environs can forget it and there are MANY laces that dont get UV-B at all, yet life adapts and obtains D in other ways. Agaian, as umans, we must then either supplement or alter the diet to obtain this or mishealth and especially decalcification will set it. This is just basic biology and chemistry again.
3. Mineral cell salts are absolutely vital to the body and must be obtained in a good balance other wise no diet of any type will be successful. Cells salts are enzymatic in a sense that they work to cause certain chemical reactions that will not occur in their absense. People that routinely got enough calcium often show deficient iin calcium because they were not getting sufficient mineral cell salts to utalize the calcium.
4. Fruits. Fruits are detoxers. And like anything that is a detoxer, they are good for you, but while chelating out toxins, just like almost any detoxer, they also chelate out minerals and mineral salts. Hence the reason over consuming fruit without adequete return of minerals and their salts leads to decalcification of teeth and bones. Again, the issue here is complicated as without adequete vitamin A and D, saturated fat (and a few others), one can consume all the Calcium and such one wants and it will not be utalized. (hence the teeth and bones will continue to deteriate). Again, this is just basic chemical biology.
5. Saturated Fats. these 2, if missing will lead to radical inability to absorb and use certain nutrients (calcium for example). There absense also leads to some definite health issues over time. I posted something on fats yesterday if anyone looks for it as a topic. the book Raw power points this out well in one of its recipes. green smoothie with coconut mixed in. Its a perfect balance of saturated fats that usher all the minerals from the greens to the cells. A good synergy for sure.
As I said, I am making no argument for any type of diet. I belive each person must make choices for themselves as to what is right for them. IF a diet is chosen for moral reasons, even though it may lead to nonhealth, I respect that on the grounds of a persons chosen morality. My only goal here is to present the scientific nature of biology and chemistry that can be shown in a lab over and over again. As I said, these are not opinions, but basic chemical truths. What a person chooses to do with them is entirely up to them. If someone wants help understanding these more, email me and I will be happy to help. I am a science, logical minded guy and like to know what happens in my body when I eat an apple or drink my green juice. If others wanna know that, I will be happy to help
God Bless ya all
Raw Food Talk is a friendly forum brought to you by Alissa Cohen. You can find various living & raw food diet
merchandise such as her new book or CD on her website at www.alissacohen.com
. The Raw Food Talk forum is a great place to meet friends, share raw recipes, find advice and more. The forum is broken into different categories. The "Raw & Living Foods Discussion"
is for general chat about the raw diet. The Recipes and Food Preparation
is where you can discuss and exchange vegan recipes, vegetarian recipes, & other raw recipes. "Exercise and Fitness While Raw"
is for advice, tips, training and more while you are on a raw diet. "Juicing, Sprouting, and Organic Gardening"
is for discussion related to juicing & juicers, sprouting, organic gardening & wild edible foods. "Raw Events and Classifieds"
is for posting events, products, and advertisements. These are just some of the different topics you will find being discussed in the Raw Food Talk forum. Come on in and meet some new friends.