Okay, so I've been reading these posts on people who struggle with compulsive eating and I JUST realized something. I know why I have problems with compulsive thoughts of losing weight and BINGE eating.
I don't think this will solve everyone's problems as we all have our own issues to deal with.
When I am stressed over things I have no control over (finances as a stay-at-home mom, a new baby on the way, other people saying or doing hurtful things) then I do this:
1. I compulsively think about losing weight and make lots of plans for when I'm not pregnant for being thinner- why? Because it keeps me from addressing my real problems and it's something I have control over.
2. I binge when I'm feeling very out of control. If people try to pick fights with me, if I don't live up to my compulsive thoughts and plans as mentioned above, or if anything happens that it hits me square in the face, I binge eat.
3. I become depressed. Often I don't realize it when it's happening until someone else points it out. Then I feel guilty and embarrassed that I have somehow inflicted my depression upon them.
4. I lash out at the people I love for weird reasons. Normally I am very mellow and try hard to be "nice." This often catches people unaware. Maybe subconscioulsy I blame them for not knowing that I'm hurting??
5. And this is the last one I came up with: BOREDOM. I can't bring myself to go out and do anything. So I will sit for hours, bored. And compulsively think.
So, for me the answer would be to let the Lord take care of my problems, to place my problems at the foot of his Throne. I haven't learned to let go of things that are out of my control. Now I have made two steps in the right direction: I have recognized it and I have prayed about it. I hope this helps someone else to analyze what causes their compulsive eating problems.
I wasn't facing it because I was blocking out all my other thoughts with plans of losing weight when I'm not preggo. But losing weight is not going to fix my problems.