If you take prescription medications be very careful using grapefruit seed extract. Some prescription medications react with grapefruit juice, grapefruits and grapefruit seed extract.
Believe me, I learned the hard way!
Hehe, yes, grapefruit (the naringenin component of) can slow phase-2 liver metabolism - not good if you're on statins (but then statins are APPALLINGLY bad for your health, anyway, and do nothing to promote good cardiovascular health). If you look on the patient leaflet for simvastatin, for example, it clearly states that patients must avoid consuming grapefruit. Satins basically incapacitate certain liver enzymes in the liver, responsible for synthesizing cholesterol. Incapacitate liver enzymes to benefit the heart? RIIIIIGHT........
I know, from my job, that quite a few psychiatric medications also don't jive well with grapefruit; again because they are stressful to the liver and require good phase-2 metabolism in order to not become dangerously toxic to the patient.
I'm sorry you had to learn about naringenin the hard way!
Thankfully, I figured it out pretty quick. I was really, really tired and then remembered that grapefruit can affect the metabolism (slow the metabolism) of some RX's. My bottle didn't state any precautions regarding grapefruit (BAD), but when I called a pharmacist I was told about it. I stopped taking GSE immediately!
My simple sinus cures.
1. Apple Cider Vinager drink with honey and water. Or just water, it kicks it pretty quick for me when I start feeling stuffy.
2. Saline spray. Lie with your head upside down from your bed. Squirt that saline and let it drain down into your sinus cavity. GET UP SLOWLY. Feel it drain and the relief. Might be a little painful depending on how clogged you are.
Good luck feel better.
What do you use to spray saline and what %saline do you use?
I buy the spray called OCEAN spray or the generic that's beside it. You can usually get them pretty cheap in the U.S.
I saw a yoga lady that used an eye dropper. Her dilution was 8 oz to 1 tablespoon of sea salt.
I think I prefer the idea of the eye dropper. How much should one use at a time?
Since a child we always just cupped salt water in our hand and inhaled it up our nose. It worked.....didn't need anything fancy. There is another helpful spray called Xlear with xylitol in it. It is a natural sugar that even our bodies produce, and if I rmember right it works by not allowing bactreria to adhere to the mucosal lining so well. I have a larger bottle tjhat comes with a pump mechanism and little travel one that you squeeze for a mist shot. They've been getting regular use with hayfever.