Most of you know this already, but thought I would post just as a reminder. If you have these plants/cuttings in your home, perhaps you should keep them well out of the reach of small children and your pets.
Daffodils - Daffodil is a name commonly applied to all varieties of Narcissus flowers. Daffodils are highly toxic, especially if the bulb is ingested. They can cause intense stomach problems, resulting in vomiting and diarrhea. When eaten, they can also cause high blood pressure, tremors, and irregular heartbeat. In some cases, ingestion of the bulbs can even be fatal. Daffodils are toxic to both humans and pets.
Hyacinth - Hyacinths share the same symptoms with daffodils when ingested--primarily nausea that leads to vomiting and diarrhea. Also like daffodils, they can be fatal, and are toxic for pets, as well.
Aloe Vera - Aloe has long been a popular household plant due to its many medicinal properties, including its ability to aid with burns, cuts, and skin problems. While the gel inside the plant is known for these properties, the skin and and other inner layers can irritate human skin on contact and irritate intestines upon ingestion. Make sure the plant's skin and subsequent yellow layer of latex are adequately cut away from the aloe gel before using. The plant is mildly toxic to pets if ingested, but is okay for topical uses (many dog shampoos utilize aloe gel).
English Ivy - English Ivy is a vine plant grown both indoors and outdoors for decorative purposes. It is poisonous to humans, pets, and livestock when ingested. Symptoms include breathing difficulties, convulsions, vomiting, and in extreme cases, paralysis and coma.
Hydrangea - Eating the flower buds of a hydrangea can cause stomach pains, vomiting, diarrhea, heavy breathing, lethargy, and can even lead to a coma. This plant can also be poisonous to pets if ingested.
Diffenbachia - Diffenbachia is a popular house plant for its low light requirements. The plant is highly toxic however, and native Amazonian people have long used juice from the plant in preparation to poison arrows. Among other symptoms, if ingested the plant can cause severe burning in the mouth and swelling of the tongue, which may obstruct breathing. In serious cases, the plant can be fatal for both humans and pets.
Philodendrons - Philodendrons are a favorite among house plants. They are poisonous to both humans and pets, and ingesting them will will result in painful burning and swelling of the lips, tongue, and throat. They can also cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Irises - Irises are poisonous to both people and pets. If eaten, they can cause nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhea, and fever.
Azaleas - Azaleas and other rhododendrons are low toxicity plants for both humans and pets.
I throw the entire aloe vera leaf in my smoothie. I will have to rethink that.