Sprouts have toxins says Dr. Vetrano
I love to eat and grow my sunflower, buckwheat and pea greens. I grow them in an inch of soil indoors and I can get a lot of produce that way. However, I just came across a disturbing interview with Dr. Vivian Vetrano in Paul Nison's book Raw Knowledge and here is the excerpt. I need everyone's opinion about this one because I certainly do not want to stop eating my green sprouts.
I wonder if you can shed some light on this part of Paul Nison's book: Raw knowledge. In it he interviews various raw food experts. Dr. Vetrano had this to say, here is the excerpt:
nals. Most sprouts do not taste good,and I could not sit down
and make an entire meal of them if I tried,even if I added a
dressing or dates to mask the flavor. In contrast,I can easily
make an entire meal of one type of fruit and feel like I had ban-
queted on the most delicious epicurean meal in the world.
The toxic matter in sprouts varies and differs at different
stages of growth. When plants feel endangered,the toxins are
increased to prevent insects and animals from eating them be-
fore they have had a chance to reproduce. For instance,if you
pick off only one or two leaves of lettuce,rather than taking
the entire plant,the next time you return for more leaves,they
will all be too bitter to eat. Plucking the leaves alerts the plant
- it feels threatened and endangered. It secretes poison into
each leaf to protect itself. There is a tree in Africa which gi-
raffes frequently feed upon,and it only tolerates the giraffe
eating it for about thirty minutes. If the giraffe does not quit
eating on that tree before thirty minutes,one more bite is
toxic enough to make it very sick or even kill it.
I have always contended that sprouts are toxic,and if you
want them,no more than a small amount or garnish should be
eaten. Many people have been sickened by eating or drinking
juices made from sprouts. If you continue drinking juices
containing an abundance of sprouts for long,you are in dan-
ger of developing arthritis or any other serious condition to
which you have an inborn tendency.
The toxins in sprouts,as I said before,create an emer-
gency in the body. It senses the unfitness of the poisonous
substances all over the system. The entire system has to go to
work to get rid of them. It’s like having to put out a fire.
These toxins cause urgent physiological activity that waste
our nerve energy and damage cells. The individual who eats
the sprouts becomes hyper and has a false sense of being en-
ergetic and really healthy,but this is the same as getting a caf-
feine kick or the kick of salt or getting “high”from any other
stimulant. The differences between one stimulant and an-
other vary according to how much you eat or drink and how
toxic the substance is. Therefore,sprouting is not the answer
when it comes to grains and legumes.
Dr. Vivian Virginia Vetrano