Reactions to quote's of Wissle:
well I am sure you know that some of these saturated fats come in lots of non vegan raw whole foods.
* No! I don't agree. There are enough superior vegan saturated fats
to let forget the animal saturated fats
In regard to EFA's I have found we need about 4% of our diet as balanced EFA's. To be honest, other then flax seeds I am not aware of any good whole food vegan sources. am not sure what this does to the fat content, ie it oxidizes it all or not?)
* What are your thoughts/objections about hempseed, and chiaseed?
Vandy--I agree I prefer the whole food myself as well, but as coconut oil is a fermented food, it is still raw and alive. I was cracking open a coconut a day in the summer, but now the store just doesnt have enough for me! :P
* the same for red palm oil: not available as a whole food
* Wissle, what do you think: should we eat every different fat directly, in order to avoid the energyloss of transforming one fat in to another, or not?
They are essential in that everyone needs them for energy.
* carbohydrates are not a unique source of energy, that's why they are not essential. They are not unique in anyway, in any function.
And being unique is the criterium for being essential. Or not..?
but when you can make saturated fats.. out of these carbohydrates
Whenever you need them...
* You do need them!. many cellmembranes are flexible, because they are formed out of saturated fat (braincells!) when not saturated fat available
these cellsmembranes will become rigid and stiff
but if you don't eat enough carbohydrates a saturated fat intake becomes essential.
If you don't eat enough carbohydrates or calories period, you aren't getting enough of anything!
* see above: there is still no argument for carbohydrates to be essential.
(I don't say they have to be avoid at all, I only say they are not essential
in the way that there is not a single performance they have, which can't be fulfilled by other nutrients)
Wissle, be free to join also in this discussion!
I love fats and I eat them but I eat them in smaller amounts simply because I feel better when I eat less fat and more fruits and veggies and my hair sheds less as well. Fat is very good, needed for optimum health and I eat a little bit each day but in my case, it is best if fat is what I eat the least of.