I have noticed much talk about fat in here and think that some stuff is good and other stuff perhaps lacking a bit. I firmly belive we should make up our own minds on things based on all facts. That said, i wanted to present some facts about fats that many may not know as from what I see in here it seems people eat very little of them. (keep in mind these are RAW fats)
1. Each cell in the body is 50% saturated fat! It is this fat that gives cells the proper firmness that allows nutrients to pass in freely and toxins out. If there is no saturated fat the body will use what is available....transfats, polyunsaturated, mono.....this leaves cells "floppy" and hence in poor health.
2. For calcium to be absorbed properly we must have saturated fats in the diet. About 50% is optimum.
3. Saturated fats lower Lp(a) --Lpa is an indicator of heart disease
4. They absorb toxins and help flush them from the system. In doing so they protect the liver
5. EFA's are better absorbed and retained in the tissues when saturated fats are present in enough quantity
6. Saturated fat is the prefrred food for the heart. (the heart is surrounded by a fat layer that is saturated)
7. It is antimicrobial and boosts the immune system.
There are MANY good sources. The best vegan source would be Coconut oil.
Mono unsaturated fats are quite healthy as are polyunsaturated but in small quantieties. Too much poly is actually dangerous. (74% of the gunk in clogged arteries is actually polyunsaturated fats!)
There are some GREAT articles here on fat:
Specifically good are the articles titled:
-The Importance of Saturated Fats for Biological Functions
-A New Look at Coconut Oil
By the way, for those wanting to lose weight, cutting out alot of carbs and upping the level of saturated fat will literally drop the weight right off. Fat doesnt make fat. Fat absorbs toxins. When one is fat they are over toxic. New fat taken in will replace the old and get rid of the toxins and excess weight. The eskimos ate a diet of 80% saturated fat and not a one of them was overweight. My wife and i eat alot of healthy raw saturated fat. Niether of us has a lick of fat on us. It is a huge misconception that we dont need fat. fat is actually one of the most important things we can eat. Just needs to be raw and te right kind of fat.