No-temptation double-duty meals
byon 01-19-2009 at 10:45 AM (1933 Views)
Caution: There is discussion/description of cooked food in this post, which might not be comfortable for some. I only mean to offer a bit of help to the dilemma of what to fixed in a "mixed" household that is quick, tasty to the cooked food eaters, and not overly tempting to the raw foodist. Your list may vary, but maybe there's something new or helpful here....
Salad suppers are among my favorite raw meals. Mr.Liza likes salad, too, but he always gets hungry later after "just" a salad, so I put something simple and filling on his plate to go with. I know a lot of couples and families are having trouble combining their food preps. I'm making a reference list and I thought I'd share.
The trick is to make something quick, that he likes, that I don't feel too tempted by. (And in the spirit of this, I'm not listing everything I could make, just what I'm willing to make and then not eat!)
My method is to make a big salad in a salad bowl, fill half his plate with it, and pile the rest on my plate! On the other half of his plate I put something that is ready in the time it takes to make the salad.
So here's the list:
- baked sweet potato with brown sugar & cinnamon
- baked russet potato with some kind of cheez and salsa
- ravioli (I buy a big bag of frozen vegetarian ones for multiple servings; they come with an herb sprinkle, so I needn't have cheese around to tempt me)
- baked beans on a baguette or bun with some chopped onion, pickles, and mustard (these need to be very thick baked beans like Bush's vegetarian, drain well, add a bit of barbeque sauce)
- avocado sandwich on Ezekiel toast with lettuce, tomato , and skillet-toasted sesame seeds (a huge favorite--kind of a BLT flavor)
- burrito/quesadilla variations using whole wheat tortillas, walnut taco meat, raw cheez sauce, and fresh jalapenos
- raw soup, heated a bit more than mine
- steamed or sauteed veggies (using the same veggies I'm putting in my salad, like zucchini, mushroom, carrot, snow pea), add nama shoyu and/or tahini and put over rice or noodles (make extras for leftovers)
- frozen entree--I admit it! I buy Kashi and Amy's when they are on special
Sometimes he just wants a bowl of cereal and some nutella on a banana, bless his heart!