11-22-2010, 06:34 AM
I am doing research on this way of eating for my self and I came actress this.
And confuses me and scares me. They say that too much green leafy veggies raw infests this and is harmful.
I already have neurologic symptoms. How can I avoid this
Plus they say to steam veggies for a bit to eliminate this.
Some interesting links:
Great Table of the Oxalate Content of Food:
A few of the links above claim that the only reason cooking decreases (although only a little, cooking will never eliminate it completely) oxalate acid is because it ends up in the cooking water(with many of the nutrients as well), which many do not consume. They state that soaking the food in water can decrease oxalate acid too. This is good news for raw foodists.
"Repeated food chemistry studies have shown no statistically significant lowering of oxalate content following the blanching or boiling of green leafy vegetables. A lowering of oxalate content by about 5-15% is the most you should expect when cooking a high-oxalate food."
Sounds like you can not depend on cooking (or soaking) to get rid of any substantional amount of oxalate acid, and both may be a waste of time.
If you are very concenered absolutely avoid consumption of: Lambsquarters, beet leaves, purslane leaves, spinach, swiss chard (leaves & stalks), rhubarb, carrots, parsley, sorrel.
I have noticed that many raw foodists have similar viewpoints on oxalate acid, but there is very little evidence to back it up and more evidence on the contrary unfortunately. I find the viewpoints interesting and thought provoking though:
Quote from Gabriel Cousin's book, Conscious Eating:
Organic oxalic acid, defined as that which occurs in nature in its raw form, can actually be beneficial to the system. Once foods containing oxalic acid are cooked, according to the dean of juice therapy and author of Raw Vegetable Juices, Dr. Norman Walker, the oxalic acid becomes dead and irritating substance to the system. He feels that in its cooked form it binds irreversibly with the calcium and prevents calcium absorption. An excess of cooked oxalic acid may also form oxalic acid crystals in the kidney. In the live organic form of oxalic acid, Dr. Walker claims oxalic acid stones and calcium blockage do not occur because the organic oxalic acid can be metabolized appropriately. according to Dr. Walker, oxalic acid in its raw form is one of the important minerals needed to maintain tone and peristalsis of the bowel.
About the same thing is said at this raw site:
"And Dr Norman W Walker (the famous advocate of raw foods and juicing who lived to 99) explains why oxalic acid can in fact be a very good thing! He says that it is encourages peristalsis (the wave-like motions that push food through our digestive systems). Slightly contradicting others quoted above, he says that the oxalic acid in raw veg does combine with calcium, but that if both elements are in raw state 'the result is a beneficial constructive combination.' But he also warns that 'when the oxalic acid has become inorganic by cooking or processing the foods that contain it, then this acid forms an interlocking compound with the calcium, even combining with the calcium in other foods eaten during the same meal, destroying the nourishing value of both. This results in such a serious deficiency of calcium that it has been known to cause decomposition of the bones.' So, again, thumbs up for raw, thumbs down for cooked."
11-22-2010, 05:10 PM
That is a lot of info.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.4 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.