View Full Version : Green Smoothies For 14 month old
07-18-2005, 07:18 PM
I made a green smoothie with Strawberries, bananas and romaine and water, blended in the blender...I gave my 14 month old about 8 ounces, you think this is okay?
07-18-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm going to assume he/she's had all these things before? As long as he/she's shown no allergic symptoms to the strawberries, and I've never heard of anyone reacting to lettuce. Sounds fine to me.
07-18-2005, 07:42 PM
Yeah, she eats bananas and strawberries like they are going out of style, but she usually spits out the lettuce, so I thought I would try it that way. She kept saying "Yummmm" Why I worry about her getting to much good stuff right now is kind of sounding silly.
07-18-2005, 09:21 PM
Your are being a good Mommy!
07-18-2005, 11:27 PM
YWhy I worry about her getting to much good stuff right now is kind of sounding silly.You took the words right out of my mouth, Lisa. :D (Actually, I wouldn't have called you "silly".) This is a great thing to give to children, especially little ones since often salad and lettuce seems strange to them.
07-23-2005, 03:24 PM
Beth Montgomery has a great raw foods booklet out about feeding babies through two years if you are interested. Nature's First Law sells it as well as The Fresh Network in the UK.
I started to give green smoothies to my two kids. my son was 4 years and a half and my daughter was a year and a half. never had any problem au contraire they loved it and still love it. now 6 and 3years old. actually I make 2 smoothies a day, one fruit smoothie for breakfast and one green after lunch, every day. when I make the green a put a little bit of everything you name it (celery,broccoli, carrots, kale, collard, cucumbers, spinach and I always add 2 or 3 apples for sweetness and once a week I put small beet) so don't worry. too much of a good thing does not kill you, does not make you sick, does not make you obese. your baby will grow to be phisically healthy, very smart and alert so keep the good work. you are a good mom
08-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Hi I give my 16 month old green smoothies too. It has been a life saver! My four and six year old love them too. I would be up a creek if RawTruth had not posted the ode to the green smoothie article awhile back. Thank you RawTruth!
08-08-2005, 04:07 AM
I'm so glad your children's little bodies are getting what they need to stay strong and beautiful.
08-10-2005, 10:53 AM
I have searched for the article that was mentioned, but I cannot locate it. Would you mind leading me to it?
08-10-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm not Rawtruth, but here is the Ode to Green Smoothies:
"Ode to Green Smoothie"
By Victoria Boutenko
As the Russian proverb says: New- is something old that has been long forgotten. This summer I re-discovered green smoothies. What do I mean by green smoothie? Here is one of my favorite recipes: 4 ripe pears, 1 bunch of parsley and 1 big cup of water. Blended well. This smoothie looks very green, but it tastes like fruit. I like green smoothies so much that I bought an extra blender and placed it in my office, so that I could make green smoothies throughout the day. More than half of all the food I've had in last several months have been green smoothies. I have so much more energy and clarity that I have removed green juices from my diet. (Juicing has been something that I've been doing regularly for years.) Green smoothies have numerous benefits for human health.
1. Green smoothies are very nutritious. I believe that the ratio in them is optimal for human consumption: about 60% - ripe organic fruit mixed with about 40% - organic green vegetables.
2. Green smoothies are easy to digest. When blended well, all the valuable nutrients in these fruits and veggies become homogenized, or divided into such small particles that it becomes easy for the body to assimilate these nutrients; the green smoothies literally start to get absorbed in your mouth.
3. Green smoothies, as a posed to juices, are a complete food because they still have fiber.
4. Green smoothies belong to the most palatable dishes for all humans of all ages. With a ratio of fruits to veggies as 60:40 the fruit taste dominates the flavor, yet at the same time the green vegetables balance out the sweetness of the fruit, adding nice zest to it. Green smoothies are simply the best tasting dishes for the majority of adults and children. I always make extra smoothie and offer it to my friends and customers. Some of them eat a standard American diet. They all finished their big cup of green smoothies with complements. They were quite surprised that something so green could taste so nice and sweet.
5. By consuming two or three cups of green smoothies daily you will consume enough of greens for the day to nourish your body, and they will be well assimilated. Many people do not consume enough of greens, even those who stay on a raw food diet. The molecule of chlorophyll has only one atom that makes it different from a molecule of human blood. According to teachings of Dr. Ann Wigmore, to consume chlorophyll is like receiving a healthy blood transfusion.
6. Green smoothies are easy to make, and quick to clean up after. Many people told me that they do not consume green juices on a regular basis because it is time consuming to prepare green juices and clean the equipment after ' juicing, or to drive to the juice bar.
7. Green smoothies are perfect food for children of all ages, including babies of six or more months old when introducing new food to them after mother's milk. Of course you have to be careful and slowly increase the amount of smoothies to avoid food allergies.
8. When you consume your greens in the form of green smoothies, you can greatly reduce the consumption of oils and salt in your diet.
9. Regular consumption of Green smoothies forms a good habit of eating greens. Several people told me that after a couple of weeks of drinking green smoothies, they started to crave and enjoy eating more greens. Eating enough of green vegetable is often a problem with many people, especially in children.
10. Green smoothies can easily be freshly made at any juice bar, restaurant or health food store for the great convenience of health-oriented customers.
I encourage the readers of this article to start playing with green smoothies, and to discover the many joys and benefits of this wonderful delicious and nutritious addition to the menu.
Here are more ideas for your green creations. Some of my favorite greens to add to green smoothies: parsley, spinach, celery, kale and romaine. My favorite fruits for green smoothies are: pears, peaches, nectarines, bananas, mangoes and apples. Strawberries and raspberries taste superb in green smoothies, when combined with ripe bananas.
Mango-parsley= 2 large mangos, 1 bunch parsley, Water
Strawberry-banana- romaine= 1-cup strawberries ,2 bananas ,1/2 bunch romaine, Water
Pear-kale-mint= 4 ripe pears, 4-5 leaves of kale, 1/2 bunch of mint, Water
Peach-spinach= 6 peaches, 2 handfuls of spinach leaves, Water
Apple-kale-lemon= 4 apples, 1⁄2 lemon juice ,4-5 leaves of kale, Water
Finger banana-spinach= 10 finger-bananas, 2 handfuls of spinach leaves, Water
Mango-weeds= 2 mangos, 1 handful of lambs quarters, stinging nettles, purslane & etc, Water
Kiwi-banana-celery= 4 very ripe kiwis, 1 ripe banana ,3 stalks of celery, Water
Bosc pear-raspberry-kale= 3 Bosc pears, 1 handful of raspberries, 4-5 leaves of kale, Water
08-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Rawkinlocs- Thank you so much!!
08-11-2005, 07:20 PM
You may also wish to read this: http://www.rawfoodtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4260&highlight=Boutenko
I think it's like an addendum to the "Ode" article plus some other tidbits within the entire thread/discussion. She also has a book coming out called "Green for Life" that is available on http://rawfamily.com for pre-ordering.
08-12-2005, 08:38 PM
I will do that. Thank you!
Well, today I gave my 12 month old his first green smoothie. He loved it!. I put in it: Pear, Banana, Spinach, and parsley. I divided it into two small cups, thinking that I would just sip the rest, but NO, he wanted them both!
It was really great. I am so excited about this! :D
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.4 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.