View Full Version : Three cooking question
10-20-2004, 08:48 AM
I have three questions.
1. My husband loves this raw lifestyle. I'm shocked! Anyway, he wants me to pack him lunches and I just don't know what to come up with. He'll get bored with salads after a while. I do not have a dehydrater, yet. Any ideas?
2. I made a nut loaf for dinner tonight. It looks pretty unattractive. It's too sticky and won't be able to cut into slices (it's a new recipe that I tried). Any ideas how to serve it so it looks appealing? Maybe as a pate over a salad? I don't know.
3. I want to make sure I'm sprouting correctly. I soaked garbzanzo beans over night (on Sunday) then I put them in a colander and drained them. I rinse them twice a day (morning and night) and about 80% have sprouted nicely. Is it ok that the other 20% have not sprouted? I've been sprouting them for three days, is it time for me to make them into hummus now? And is it possible for the beans, when sprouting, to ever go bad? (I assumed sprouting takes place outside of the refrigerator and that's what I've been doing).
10-20-2004, 08:48 AM
I just noticed that I wrote three "cooking" questions. Of course, I am not cooking! I am un cooking. :)
10-20-2004, 09:26 AM
Sorry I can't help you with nr 2 and nr 3 but I can try with nr 1 ;)
You can make "pasta" with courgette cut into thin stripes to look like spaghetti and serve it with a tomatosauce.
Fake rice made of parsnip (mixed in a foodprocessor until you get a rice like texture) and serve it with a curry sauce made from 1 apple, 1 banana and curry powder mixed together in a food processor.
Alissas Mock Salmon Pate is really good and goes really nicely with the above "rice" or with salad.
Well that's a few ideas I'm sure someone else will be able to help you with your other questions and give you more lunch ideas. :)
10-20-2004, 09:46 AM
The mock salmon pate is great rolled up in lettuce leaves. I even took it to a party (with crackers) and they ate it up!!!!!!
10-20-2004, 10:05 AM
Hi there Twinyoga,
If costs is a problem for the dehydrator, I found one at Wal-Mart by American Harvest that has a temperture control on it for $40!!! It works great... it is round so teflex sheets are hard to find for it. I just use cling wrap, which makes flipping very easy! I think they have it on their website too... Walmart.com
Once you have the dehydrator, you options are endless, so it's well worth it. Alissa's enchiladas are so good! I hear her pizza is really good too but I haven't tried it yet. My favorite snack is the flax crackers and avacado dip, which you can also turn into a cracker sandwich... Oh, and I agree, the Salmon Pate is great... my firend who thinks I am a nut case for doing this ate it not even knowing it was raw... I just laugh inside myself, and I never told her the difference! She just smacked it all down... while I smiled.
I tried Alissa's tuna, and honestly, I didn't care for it. But I didn't use the right beans- I didn't have mung beans at the time, so I used a bean sprout mix from the supermarket.... it was so bitter :0= Wouldn't it be great for Alissa to make us all her food so we know what we are 'supposed' to be tasting????? Okay Alissa... I want to be in your next video!!!!
I have the same question about sprouting, I get scared that they have gone bad hanging out on the counter for 3 days.... But I think garbonzo beans are only supposed to sprout for 48 hours.... I am also in the process of making hummus for the first time!
Good luck, and you are so lucky your husband is a willing participant!
10-21-2004, 03:27 PM
For all the information you could possibly want to know about sprouting, click the sites below:
I don't know if you have purchased Alissa's cookbook, but there are so many lunch ideas - a few from her website www. alissacohen.com that are doable for lunch (I have a hubby that loves the raw lifestyle too - and I am still shocked) without a dehydrator - click on the kiwi.
Also from www.fromsadtoraw.com, Michelle Reeves provides you with a wonderful range of recipes that don't require a dehydrator. She also has links to other sites that can assist you.
Be blessed and enjoy! ;)
10-21-2004, 04:36 PM
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.4 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.