View Full Version : Raw shitake mushrooms not okay to eat?
03-22-2008, 02:35 PM
I heard that raw shitake mushrooms are not ok to eat. Any thoughts on this? Also what about dried shitakes that you soak; do they sell these raw?
03-22-2008, 04:26 PM
I eat them and I feel fine...but I certainly can't speak for everyone. I actually heard the same thing about some sort of dried mushroom, but the name is escapping me.
03-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Thank you Adensspell! I really love shitakes and am glad that raw fooders can eat them.
03-26-2008, 12:42 PM
raw shiitakes make my mouth tingly... and i crave them. I can even eat the dried ones as is, though they tend to bind you a bit.
I've spent mucho dinero at whole foods just buying the exotic mushrooms and have sat crouched in front of my fridge eating them like a neanderthal.
03-26-2008, 12:48 PM
I heard that raw shitake mushrooms are not ok to eat.What problems do they cause ?
03-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I've seen recipes in Alissa's book that call for shitakes but my boyfriend (who's worked as a produce clerk for 6 years) just said, "Oh, I don't think you're supposed to eat raw shitakes." I'm not sure what his source was. I'm glad I now know of people who eat them with no problems. Except for a little less dinero in their carteras :)
03-26-2008, 02:01 PM
We eat raw shiitakes all the time... love love love :)
03-26-2008, 02:11 PM
according to this, some people experience allergic reactions (skin rashes) to eating raw mushrooms.
I believe this is saying pretty much the same thing
I don't mean to upset anyone with this!
03-26-2008, 02:14 PM
I hadn't seen this til I moved to Ireland, but all of the produce sections here have signs that say "We recommend that customers wash and cook all mushrooms"! I always wash them reaaaaally well, but I still eat them raw and have had no problems.
03-26-2008, 10:53 PM
mellow muse--i noticed that when i was living in ireland too. HOWEVER, we had a small health co-op in our town (Dingle), and I asked the owners about it because i noticed their shop didnt have a sign like the supermarkets did. they told me they expected theirs were fine, as theirs were organic, and i suspect they had had alot less handling than the ones in the grocery stores, since they got shipped to them directly and then put out directly, unpackaged. i never had a problem eating theres, but would never risk it with the ones from the supermarkets
by the way all--raw shitakes make me nauseous and sick to my tummy. cant stand the taste anymore based on that association.
05-21-2011, 02:47 AM
Hard to wash mushrooms to get them clean. You can't use veggie wash because it soaks in and you can't get it all rinsed out. I had a fear of eating raw shitake, like others here thought I read somewhere not to...finally missed them too much (since starting almost all raw in Jan.) so had a few, and felt fine afterwards. But I am grossed out by the germs! One day I was going to get some at the co-op, but a guy was handling each and every one like he had some kind of a fetish or OCD for them! I just shivered and decided to do without any that day. I swear, he had to touch every one in the basket before he decided which few to take, and I mean he was really ALL over them with his grimy little paws! Yucccch.
05-21-2011, 03:06 AM
I'm a forager and often forage for wild mushrooms ... many of which it is recommended are cooked before eating.
I tend only to eat a few very basic mushrooms raw. Whereas I would eat many more cooked when I ate cooked food.
If you are able to eat certain mushrooms raw then go with how you feel but don't eat too many of the ones that can cause upsets.
05-21-2011, 03:33 AM
as a rider to my previous post ...
Some may find this link interesting ...
and this one
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.4 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.