View Full Version : Is it a good idea to bleach my.....
01-22-2008, 10:00 PM
wooden cutting board? I live on the very wet (and very wonderful) Oregon coast and a little mold is sprouting on it!- despite using it all the time. It's so hard to keep my home totally mold free- ick. But will I get a bleach taste on my food from it?
01-23-2008, 08:17 AM
I would replace it with a glass one that can be properly cleaned and won't go mouldy... :)
01-23-2008, 08:51 AM
In the meantime, yes, absolutely. Plain bleach diluted in water is a perfect disinfectant! It quickly breaks down into salt and water so not harmful to you or where it goes down the drain. After soaking, rinse with clear water and dry. Good to go. Do this often!
01-23-2008, 10:03 PM
Tea tree oil is another good option. Or grapefruit seed extract.
01-23-2008, 11:41 PM
Bleach it ( diluted) and then oven dry it on a low temp.
01-24-2008, 09:25 AM
Also, hydrogen peroxide is a good bleach substitute. You could also call around to your nearest tile & counter place that does granite countertops, and ask them if they have any remnents you could have or buy - they make BEAUTIFUL, very impervious cutting boards. You might have to bribe one of the installation guys $20 or so to shape and smooth the edges, but it looks like a freaking $200 cutting board when they do that!
Tracey Mouse (in SW Oregon about 30 minutes from the coast!)
01-24-2008, 11:46 AM
In studies in slaughter houses (yes, gross I know), they found that spraying something with vinegar, followed by a spray of hydrogen peroxide was just as effective as using bleach. That is what I use now. I keep one bottle of vinegar and one bottle of hydrogen peroxide (needs to be a dark bottle and kept in a dark place like under the sink). I would try that.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.4 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.