View Full Version : Portobello mushrooms - please help...
01-02-2008, 11:09 AM
I hate to sound like a complete idiot - but with the portobello mushroom caps - the brown 'gils' I call them, on the underside, are you supposed to remove those prior to eating? Thanks!
01-02-2008, 11:18 AM
I never do, just eat the whole thing....
Do you mean just the fiborous underside??:confused:
01-02-2008, 11:44 AM
I'M GLAD YOU ASKED, I WAS WONDERING TOO. AND HOW DO YOU CLEAN THEM?:rolleyes:
01-02-2008, 12:14 PM
Just wipe mushrooms or brush gently with a toothbrush-- soft bristle
do not run under the tap!!
01-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Why not run them under the tap?
01-02-2008, 01:02 PM
They are like little porous sponges..will just suck up the water..ick :eek:
Brush or gently wipe them
some people wash..upto you entirely :cool:
01-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Yes I mean the fibrous brown underside. Thanks.
01-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Some people will scrape out the "gils" with a spoon. I think for aesthetic reasons - so they don't turn everything black. I don't think there is any other reason to, unless you are making more room to stuff them.
If you are going to scrape them, a serrated grapefruit spoon works well.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.4 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.