View Full Version : Coconut recipes ?
05-19-2007, 12:27 PM
I just cracked open a coconut (not a young one) and pryed out the meat - what should I make with this?
1. Add water and blend very well, then strain through a mesh bag for milk. Drink as is.
2. set the milk in a glass jar in the refrigerator to separate, then skim the cream off.
3. Use only enough water to keep blending well (maybe a cup to a cup and a half), and strain with mesh bag squeezing well, to use in cheesecake. Grind 3 cups cashews in blender with coconut milk until smooth, then add the juice of 3 limes or 1 lemon (your choice), 3/4 cup agave or gently warmed honey. Blend until mixed. Pour into crust. To make crust, grind 1 1/2 cups any nut, add 3/4 cup any dried fruit and process until it starts to stick together. Mash into pan. Put cheesecake in freezer just until it sets (about 2 or 3 hours) keep refrigerated.
4. Process in FP and keep in plastic bag in freezer to use sprinkled on puddings, pies, or added to cookie dough
5. Use processed coconut in pie crusts, brownies, fruit nut bars
I'll think on it some more,
05-19-2007, 05:16 PM
try sergie's and valya's Boutenko's Thai salad recipe from their book " eating with out heating" ~ it is to live for. yummyness
05-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all those great ideas!
My mom's ambrosia. I'm trying to remember how she made it. It's probably been at least 15 years since she stopped, she's 91 now. It was basically a variety of cut up fresh fruit (always had oranges in it, and strawberries). Mash the fruit down in the bowl to release the juices. Add shredded fresh coconut and stir. Add sweetner if needed. I would use Agave for this one. If the fruit is all ripe it will be sweet enough. Ambrosia!!
05-20-2007, 04:27 PM
I have been dehydrating the chunks and then blending them into a powder. The powder is great for using in cookies..or rolling sticky date/nut bars in it.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.4 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.