View Full Version : Wine question
03-29-2005, 10:14 PM
What exactly are sulfites? Even if they are not good for you, is wine still raw if it contains sulfites? Thanks!
03-30-2005, 12:36 AM
Wine can still be raw, but sulfites are terribly awful for you, they are very poisonous.
Sulfites is a chemical that you burn and then pass your food through the smoke (which is so toxic, that it will kill humans if they breath it) once you pass your food through it, it will keep the food a more perfect color, however, it is highly toxic to many people, my husband gets violently ill when he eats anything with sulfites in it.
it is so toxic, that any restaurant that has food with it, has to BY LAW post a large sign, stating this.
This is what killed the little girl that played in Poltergeist the movie.
Please, don't eat anything with sulfites in it, it will keep you so much healthier.
03-30-2005, 04:27 AM
Just some more info on this........by the way I had NOT heard the stuff RP posted before so that is very interesting to me now. From what I have learned at seminars at my local wine shop, all wine contains some amount of sulfites as part of some natural process of the wine making supposedly. Just most of them have added sulfites as a preservative of some kind.
03-30-2005, 05:02 AM
who is deathly allergic to sulfites, let me add this...outside of wine sulfites are added to many foods ~ mostly dried fruit. If you find dried fruit that is the color it was before it was dried then check the ingredients. Golden raisins, apricots, even prunes and figs may contain sulfites.
Sulfites tend to affect those prone to breathing problems. I almost died twice back in the early 80's becuase I'd eaten coleslaw one time and french fries another ~ both of which contained sulfites. It was used in abundance in salad bars to keep lettuce from wilting and potatoes from turning grey. I do have to thank the folk who created and used sulfites because it was a turning point in my life in becoming a natural healthy practitioner and educator. Too bad it killed so many others. I'm sure some didn't know why they couldn't breath after eating.
A lot of grape pickers have lost their health because the grapes have been sprayed with sulfites (among other pesticides). Wine does create it's own yet, folk who don't know that, will unknowingly drink it and not know why they feel so poorly afterwards.
03-30-2005, 10:11 AM
So, what about wine? Is it considered raw?
03-30-2005, 10:14 AM
So, what about wine? Is it considered raw?
Yes, wine is considered raw.
03-30-2005, 03:30 PM
if you look at the bottles of most organic wine it will tell you that the sulfites are naturally ocurring and that none are added.
i rarely drink wine, but when i do i drink organic. another reason to buy organic is that most grapes (non-organic) are very heavily sprayed and in making the wine, that just concentrates the pesticides (bad!)...so, organic is best.
i think you will find tho, as i have, that as you are raw for longer your alcohol tolerance is lowered, as with many other substances, i find myself much more sensitive to alcohol presumably b/c my body is absorbing it more quickly. for example: pre-raw/vegan, i could usually drink two glasses of wine before i felt foggy in the head/tipsy but now, it takes about 1/4-1/2 a glass!!! seriously!
03-30-2005, 05:41 PM
I have found so far - (and I am only 9 days raw here) that my craving to drink wine has lowered. I'll pour myself a glass, have a couple of sips and I'm done. I used to drink 2-3 glasses 5 days out of the week! Raw does wonderful strange things to me...... :rolleyes:
03-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Yes .....as far as I'm concerned wine is raw. There is no heat associated with wine making.
On the other hand, some wines are not vegan. Animal products can be used in the fining process before filtering. Though many vineyards now use clay in the fining process.
Go to GOOGLE and do some research. It's quite a lesson.
Drink wine, it's good for you.
03-30-2005, 06:37 PM
in wine that one cannot get from other sources that are better for one than lowering their consciousness by drinking alcoholic beverages. As a couple have mentioned here, they are noticing that consuming less, affects them more. So! Is it that they are noticing? Or is it true? When one is addicted to cooked food, then drinks wine, one may not be noticing the affect it has on their consiousness. Maybe being raw is bringing it to the forefront?
Having said that ~ *shrugs*
03-30-2005, 06:49 PM
Wine is the drink of the GODS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.4 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.