View Full Version : Opinions on eating fungi?
02-23-2007, 03:56 PM
So, I am going back and forth on whether or not to let my kids eat mushrooms and nutritional yeast. I have avoided including them in our diets thus far, but for a really silly reason - I am icked out at the thought of eating fungus. But since joining this board I have seen all sorts of yummy recipes including mushrooms and yeast, and would be interested in trying them.
So, I am wondering where you all sit on the fungus fence? Are mushrooms nutritious enough to get over my irrational fear, is nutritional yeast tasty enough? Are there any actual good reasons to avoid them?
02-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Well...aside from the fact that you COULD die if you mistakenly eat a poinsonus mushroom...I don't know of any other reason you should avoid them.
Now...I eat the regular STORE bought ones...you know the white, button ones? Also the Shiitake mushrooms are really good. no problem with those. i think the horror stories i've heard are of people picking wild mushrooms and thinking they're safe. do a search...i remember seeing a post about an entire family getting wiped out becuase they put wild poisonous mushrooms into the soup they all ate.
02-23-2007, 04:15 PM
Not to scare you but....it is said that you should only eat mushrooms cooked, because their cells walls are made out of chitin - which is indigestible when raw. It is also said that mushrooms have moulds and micotoxins on them. They are mysterious plants that grow in the shade and are capable of absorbing strange substances like nitrogen. But i guess the latter isn't a problem if they are certified organic (so they are not grown in a polluted environment). I guess its the same with everything, if you feel fine on them - then go ahead.
02-23-2007, 08:36 PM
I was talking to a raw friend about this. Our conclusion is that, if even baby bellas and "safe" mushrooms can be dangerous at high amounts....then the tiny amounts can still do harm to your body, even if you can't see it right away. You can't get ill with too many apples can ya? I personally have always just...gotten freaked out about mushrooms. Eating fungus?? EWWW. haha. That's my childish response to that question. Our theory may be wrong, but...that's what we're sticking with for now :) I don't know about the nutritional yeast. I know it's not raw, but that wasn't the point of your question really. I can't do yeast because my body is intolerant to it. Also, the fact that it smells like cheese really turns me off (i only smelled it last week for the first time while filling up the bulk container at my store).
02-23-2007, 08:41 PM
NOT that I would go out in an open field and pick some:eek:
You can get some to grow in your basement. That way you KNOW where they come from.
Raw mushrooms are safe to eat as long as you eat the right ones.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.4 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.