View Full Version : Pineapple Pain???
06-19-2006, 10:36 PM
I had a fair amount of pineapple for dinner tonight (We're talking half of a whole fruit) and it was amaaaazing...however, I kind of regretted it right after because my whole mouth burned like crazy!! my lips felt like they had been scratched and my toungue hurt!! I imagine it's because of the acid content not because of an allergy or anything...my mouth is pretty much better now..
Does this happen to anyone else too??
:p hahahahah :p
I had that same thing all day thursday, friday and saturday due to the 2 pineapples I had. It went away by the next day though :p
06-19-2006, 11:02 PM
Yeah, the same thing happens to me all the time. It doesn't just happen to me with pinapples though. It also happens with kiwi fruits and peaches as well. I think it has to due with the amount of acid in the fruit because the problem always goes away in about an hour or two...
06-19-2006, 11:05 PM
I had it too, and decided that I will eat just dried pineapple from now on.
06-19-2006, 11:57 PM
yes, I have that right now. Is it not wonderful or what??? Yummy, yummy, yummy! Pineapple, kiwi, and mango soooo yummy!
06-20-2006, 05:36 AM
I experienced the same some time ago and my mouth and lips were sore for a couple of days.
I noticed that when eating really ripe and sweet pineapples I don't have that acid problem. Maybe that helps you too?
06-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone!
I'm glad I'm not the only one, it made me a little worried..It won't stop me from eating pinapple though! I'll just suffer!! lol :D
Dried pineapple is sooo yummy too! I have to be careful having dried fruit around me though, because it's very addicting and I usually eat the whole bag within 2 or 3 days...
06-20-2006, 10:00 AM
That happens to me too. Some pineapples seem to burn more than others. Unripe ones especially burn me. I've heard that this is due to the aliesthetic taste change and the body telling you that it's had enough.
06-20-2006, 10:04 AM
It all depends on how ripe the pineapple is. If they are left to grow long enough you will have no burning at all... just lovely pineapple taste sweeter than you can imagine.
Pineapples (according to the biggest organic grower I know of in Australia) do not ripen once they are picked. To reduce the acid that irritates so much they need to ripen on the plant.
I have read though that marking an X in the bottom of the pineapple, resting in a bowl of water, and leaving in the sun can help!
I too have suffered the morning after from pineapple meals, and are very choosy about my pineapples now.
06-20-2006, 06:56 PM
I have the same problem sometimes, I figured that i jsut had too much pineapple. lol
06-20-2006, 09:26 PM
I too suffer from pineappleitis.
06-20-2006, 09:57 PM
Pineappleitis!! lol :D
It's temporary and so very worth it!
06-21-2006, 07:47 AM
I'm having pineapple pain right now! My tounge has that feeling as if I burned my tounge with hot water or food!
06-21-2006, 07:53 AM
This happens to me every time I eat an uncut pineapple. The ones that are cut up never bother me, and they always seem to be ripe. Hmmmmm?
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.4 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.