View Full Version : Shitaki mushrooms
04-19-2006, 10:48 PM
I bought Shitaki mushrooms today for a recipe, and when I got into the car after another stop (a short one), I noticed a horrible, rotten smell..... Then, when I got home, I realized the smell was from the mushrooms. Are they sopposed to be this pungent? They smell like a pile of dung...... do they taste like that? I know my cat's fish gets smelly when its bad, so I didn't know if maybe mushrooms got more pungent as they 'aged' as well. Does anyone have any experience with Shitaki's? (They are edible raw, right?)
04-20-2006, 03:51 AM
I ha shitaki mushrooms once with mold on them. It said it was okey on the package and it would go away with the heat of the preparation of it, but since I had intented to eat it raw, I chose not to eat it at all, mold is just not good!
Fly forever free..
04-20-2006, 07:44 AM
I noticed a horrible, rotten smell..... I use a lot of shitakis, and while they do have a strong earthy smell, they don't smell rotten unless they are rotten. This usually happens if careless handling allows them to get wet.
Take them back.
04-20-2006, 08:54 AM
I use a lot of shitakis, and while they do have a strong earthy smell, they don't smell rotten unless they are rotten. This usually happens if careless handling allows them to get wet.
Take them back.
Yes I agree, they are earthy smelling but should NOT smell rotton, or have mold on them for that matter. I eat nothing with mold on them. Were they slimy feeling? They sound bad to me. Fresh ones shouldn't smell *that* strong or nasty.
04-20-2006, 09:26 AM
Mushrooms only have that rotten smell when they ARE rotting.
Take them back!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.4 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.