View Full Version : OCSA -Organic Community Supported Agriculture farms?
03-08-2006, 11:05 PM
I got really interested in those, because you pay for the season and then go and pick your vegetables yourself once a week directly from the farm. Does any of you do it and how is it working out?
03-08-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm not yet doing it, but have been thinking about. Here's my list of pros and cons. My sister-in-law who has done it thought they were on target.
* Support quality farming by making commitment
* Establish relationship with farmer (one I'm looking at offers 2 on farm events, about 1 1/2 hours away).
* Try produce you might not try otherwise
* Maybe save time standing around farmers market wondering what to buy
* Commitment to weekly pickup at time that may not always be convenient
* Not much fruit, so would need to go to farmers market anyway for that
* Difficult to be sure if size of share is right for us until doing the first year
* May get things I don't really want to eat (at some places there's a trade basket, but not the one I'm considering)
* Miss out if traveling (although could probably give to friend or neighbor)
Hope that helps. I'll probably weigh the pros and cons until it's sold out and the decision is made for me!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.4 Copyright © 2013 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.